Don’t Be Boring This Weekend
“What have you got planned this weekend?”
I dread being asked this question. What do I have planned for the weekend? Usually nothing. Or housework. I don’t tend to do much on the weekends, because I’m usually tired and over it all, and what I really want to do is sit on the couch and binge watch cartoons. All weekend.
It occurred to me recently that this is kind of a boring way to live. When you think about it, you go to work during the week (if you’re lucky enough to have a 9-5 job), and then on the weekend you’re supposed to kick back and enjoy yourself.
This post may contain affiliate links. I’ll never recommend anything to you that I wouldn’t use myself. If you purchase something through my links, I earn a commission at NO extra cost to you, which I can then spend on web-hosting or chocolate. You can read my disclosure policy here.
Good For Your Health
You know what’s bad for your health? Sitting on the couch binge watching television. Why? Because do you have any idea how much junk food I consume in front of the telly? Do you know that going outside is one of the best things you can do for yourself? It’s good for your noggin, yo. So, going outside and participating in life is good for you.
That doesn’t mean that a day off to read and watch telly isn’t good for you sometimes, just so long as it’s not all the time. But what should you do instead?
Well, I’m glad you asked, because I’ve been putting together a list of things I want to do on weekends. I’ve gone for free options, because we’re busy saving for a house, so free is good.
Free Things To Do
- Go bushwalking.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Have a picnic instead of eating at home.
- Go to the local free-entry animal reserve and look at the koalas and wombats.
- Lie in your backyard and watch the clouds.
- Go to your local art gallery and look at some art.
- Visit the library.
- Have a movie night, complete with popcorn.
- Go on a walk and take lots of photos.
- Take photos of pretty flowers in your garden.
- Sit outside and have a cuppa while you watch all the people walking by.
- Go to church, if you’re so inclined.
- Invite your friends around for a BBQ.
- Go out to the park and make use of the free BBQs the council provides.
- Make a vision board (on pinterest, if you like).
- Bake a delicious cake, and then eat it.
- At home spa day.
- Make a new spotify playlist and share it with someone.
- Go to the beach.
- Go outside and meditate.
- Head to your local park. Take a book and a thermos of tea or coffee or hot chocolate.
- Plant some seeds in a nice pot.
- Play with your pet.
Just Chill, Okay?
I think the most important thing you can do on the weekend is to avoid stress. The next most important thing is to not get to the end of the weekend and be upset that the only thing you’ve done is clean the house (unless you love cleaning). So go outside, live a little. And then enjoy your well earned movie night on the couch. With popcorn.